Job Title: Austin Chapter Director
Organization: ChickTech Austin
ChickTech is a multi-generational community supporting women and girls to become technology creators.
We are dedicated to retaining women in the technology workforce and increasing the number of women and girls pursuing technology-based careers. We facilitate hands-on technology-centric events to empower, support, and increase the confidence of women and girls. Through our events, ChickTech builds community, empowers participants to see themselves as leaders, and provides networking and mentoring opportunities in the rapidly growing high tech industry.
We are currently recruiting 1-2 individuals to serve as our Chapter Director(s). This is a leadership position that can be shared with another individual, however candidates must be willing to take on the position on their own and assist with the recruitment of a co-lead if one is wanted. As a 100% volunteer-run chapter, this role is responsible for the overall chapter and its sustainability.
This volunteer opportunity could be for you if you have/are:
- Age 21+
- Background Check
- Currently employed (business owners and recruiters are welcome!)
- Experience in the tech industry
- 2 years’ experience planning events
- 3+ years leading a team of people
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- An entrepreneurial and solution-oriented mindset
- The ability to understand “What’s in it for others”
- Excellent interpersonal skills that establish and maintain credibility and relationships
- Strong work ethic, appreciation for work, and a demonstrated understanding that there is no work beneath anybody.
- Be willing to be ultimately accountable and get the job done, even if you have to do it yourself
- Ability to stretch a dollar and appreciation that money “Doesn’t grow on trees”
- Have previously attended ChickTech events before
- Media and Photo Release
- Nice to Have
- Experience working on programs that promote and support women in their careers
- Experience working on Diversity and Inclusion initiatives or experience working with underserved communities
- Sales, Business Development, or Fundraising Experience
- Understanding or willingness to learn about the nuances of the Austin Job Market, particularly in the tech industry
Chapter Director(s) will have the following requirements and responsibilities:
- Leadership Team Responsibilities
- Commit to a one-year term
- Have 8-10 hours/week availability
- Sign a leadership team agreement describing expectations and responsibilities
- Be an external voice for ChickTech
- Organize and Attend monthly virtual or in-person leadership team meetings
- Have regular meetings with ChickTech Leadership Team Members
- Serve as the Austin representative for monthly national leadership calls
- Attend annual in-person leadership summit
- Program Oversight
- Oversee and be ultimately responsible for all divisions within ChickTech Austin
- Serve as an example and ensure that our chapter operates under our established values.
- Chapter Development
- Assist with the long-term sustainability of the chapter by meeting a Chapter Development goal.
- Oversee and enforce our Chapter Development policy.
- Ensure that all careers programs are profitable and that no event loses money.
- Identify revenue-generating and cost saving opportunities to ensure the long-term financial sustainability of our chapter
- Identify and communicate current chapter financial needs and opportunities for volunteers to reach their chapter development goal.
- Careers Program
- Develop and execute work plan for fiscal year offering at around two Careers Events a month.
- Work with Careers Team on putting together programs that are profitable, within budget, and serve all of Austin
- Ensure that our programs demonstrate our commitment to diversity and inclusion through our target audience, content, outreach, location.
- Find opportunities to promote our own members and volunteers before going outside of our organization (e.g. do we have qualified volunteers who can speak on a topic or teach a workshop)
- Recruit qualified speakers to facilitate workshops (and must be willing to promote our events)
- Provide support to secure funding and resources needed for program
- High School Program
- Develop and execute work plan for fiscal year offering a year-long kickoff event and monthly workshops for 100 Austin High School girls.
- Oversee all aspects of the program in order to ensure progress towards chapter goals and be within grant funding expectations
- Assist in obtaining donated space for events
- Meet with potential donors and sponsors to generate support for the program.
- Guide the chapter and members to ensure that outreach is being done in Underserved areas of Austin and/or recruitment is done with underrepresented communities within the area.
- Volunteers Program
- Assist with the creation and enforcement of volunteer policies and procedures
- Advise volunteer team as needed in order to ensure that the chapter has qualified volunteers. In particular, a priority of our chapter is quality volunteers over quantity of volunteers.
- Ensure that we are offering programs in various parts of Austin to demonstrate our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Ensure the financial health and sustainability of the chapter by managing the Chapter budget, create plans for event expenses, and monitor the Chapter’s fiscal health
What’s in It for You:
- An opportunity to lead a growing organization and change lives for Women and Girls in Austin
- The ability to build and strengthen your leadership skills outside of a traditional work setting.
- Opportunities to network and build relationships in the Austin Tech Industry
- Opportunities to network on a national level with leaders of our sister chapters across the globe
- Business growth and development experience
- Invitations to speak at events, serve on other leadership and advisory boards
- Opportunity to serve underserved and underrepresented youth in our community by providing them career and educational options and opportunities.