What is the ChickTech Mentorship Program?
The 8-month Mentorship Program pairs girls in our High School Program with professional women in the Austin area. Each student is matched with a mentor who will help her explore careers in technology and set educational goals.
What are the benefits of a mentor?
- Our mentors are all successful professional women from the local area. Through mentorship, each student will gain a positive role model who can help her establish educational and career goals.
- Mentors help students navigate the requirements to graduate from high school and go to college or university. Through the program, girls will create a portfolio they can use to apply for college, internships, and jobs.
- Mentors encourage and support students in pursuing a career in technology, a fast-growing, and well-paid industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average wage for software developers was $110,000 in May 2018.
- Each mentor plans technology-related activities to attend with her mentee. These can be ChickTech-hosted workshops or community events hosted by experts in the technology industry.
What activities does the ChickTech Mentorship Program involve?
- After Kickoff Weekend, students can apply to the Mentorship Program. Each student will be matched with a mentor according to her goals and interests.
- Mentors and mentees will meet in person at least once a month and have 3 additional touchpoints through their chosen method of communication.
- ChickTech will host various events throughout the program where students and their mentors can meet and participate in activities together.
“Every great achiever is inspired by a great mentor.” Lailah Akita
Interested in becoming a mentor?
Are you an Austin-area woman excited about supporting girls in tech? Learn more about becoming a volunteer mentor!